Adventures of 3under3: Pasta necklaces

So we're back from visiting my folks. It was great!...but...I don't think I want to travel with 4 young kids for a little while. What an adventure! I swear the kids acted like they had all had a couple packs of Red Bull! (No worries, don't drink the stuff  so they didn't really) It was probably just the excitement of being at Nanna Jo's, but were they ever wired.
I thought I'd share a fun little project I did to keep them entertained the night before we left. My hubby had already flown to LA, so I was trying to keep them occupied until bedtime.

I found a fun little project online, COLORFUL PASTA NECKLACES! ( I'm trying to find the site to reference it. I'll let you know when I come across it again.)
So to start off, you will need:
dry pasta (with holes for threading)
rubbing alcohol
food coloring
small cups or bowls (for putting the dye in)
spoon, fork, or skewer (to stir dye)
paper towels
dental floss
toothpicks
tape
First, I poured a little rubbing alcohol into each ramikin (bowl). Next I dropped about 4-6 drops of food coloring in each bowl. The more that's put in, the darker the pasta becomes. Then I stirred the drops and rubbing alcohol with my skewer until they were good and mixed.

The colors looked so pretty!

Then we dropped the dry pasta into our dyes.
I let them sit in there somewhere between a half hour to an hour. It was amazing how bright they got! After that, I laid out some paper towels on my cookie sheets to let them the pasta dry for an hour. I the mean time we ate dinner and when we were done, voila! This is what we had:

Beautiful, bright pasta!
The kids had a little trouble getting the dental floss through the pasta, so, I decided to tape the end of the floss to a toothpick. Ta da! Homemade needle for little kids. (I also broke the tip of the toothpicks to make them a bit duller so they'd be kidsafe.)


These little guys sure enjoyed it! They're still wearing their necklaces around.
...and...we made it to bed time with the three who used to be 3under3!
Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes. I had 3 under 3 at one point too. Now I have 3 under 7...haha! it's goes from awesome to totally awesome - congrats on being a great mum and an awesome designer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone, it's my first visit at this web site, and piece of writing is really fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting such content.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails