Tea Dispenser Tutorial


These new boxes are a little different than earlier ones in that I've included contrasting shapes if you'd like them. They inset about a .25 inch if cut to original size. When your design comes into Studio, it will be set up as follows:
*CONTRASTING SHAPES are grouped together at the top. (These are labeled with a "C" for contrasting, and then the shape they correspond to. 
For example: "C-1a" corresponds to the first panel of shape "1". And "C-L1a" corresponds to the first panel of "L1".) 
If you are not interested in adding a contrast to your Tea box, just select and delete. (In some versions of Studio, you must ungroup the design at least twice for it to work. Not sure why, just one of those flukes I guess.)
*LID SHAPES are in the grayed area on the bottom left. Labeled in the diagram with an "L".
*SHAPES FOR THE BODY of the box are what remain in the middle.

Now to get started, I crease all folds toward the inside before I even begin assembling.It makes things easier as I go along.

LID ASSEMBLY
1. So to start with grab shape "L1" and "L2". connect tab as shown below. Be sure that the large flaps are all on the same side. (We'll use these in the next step, so if you aren't sure which flaps I'm talking about, you may want to scan ahead. Also, in the photo, they are the ones under my left thumb.)

Connect the opposite tab of "L1" to the other side of "L2" to create a square ring. 


2. This is where we use the large flaps. Once you have your "ring" made, simple fold the large flaps inward and secure with adhesive. The purpose of these is to reinforce our opening. If you don't like them, cut them off. But I think it makes the box sturdier.


3. The last step in the lid is to fold the available square from "L1" down as shown, and then adhere the cap (L3) centered on the top.



BOX BODY ASSEMBLY
1. To start, adhere the long tab of "2" to the long side of "1" once again, making sure that your large tabs are on the same end for both pieces. 


Like the lid, adhere the other long tab of "2" to the other side of "1" to create a ring. 


2. Just like on the lid, once you have your "ring" made, simple fold the large flaps inward and secure with adhesive. 


3. Now you will need to add the bottom of the box. Take what you've done in the last 2 steps and add "3" to the flaps you have left. Be sure on this step that when you adhere "3" that you are using the larger end. It really is only larger by about a eighth to a sixteenth of an inch, but it's important. 


3. Next, fold the small end of "3" that is still available and fold it inside your box and adhere over the tabs of shapes "1&2" as shown. The purpose of this, is to hide our tabs from view and to give a sturdier base. 


2. Once "3" is in place, all you have left to do is add the cap "4" centered on the bottom. 

To finish, adhere the contrasting pieces to their respective panels. 

And you have your beautiful tea box ready to be filled with those fragrant packets.

~Paper used in this demo is from Samantha Walker's "Blossom" line. See more from Samantha HERE.





33 comments:

  1. Hello
    i have bought this item and was wondering what paper size you used
    many thanks
    Jo
    poppycoleman2005@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, I used 2 sheets of 12x12 for the box and an extra 1/2 sheet of 12x12 for contrasting shapes. If you are using 8.5x11 paper, you will need a minimum of 3 sheets and then one more sheet for contrasting shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished mine, and I love it! Thanks for offering this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be a dumb question, but I noticed when I downloaded it covers an area about 18x18. I assume I should ungroup and move around to make sure I cut them all out over the two sheets - yes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No dumb questions. I always worry when the designs cover an area larger than 12x12, but otherwise I would have to split the design up and the cost would go up. So, thank you for asking. Yes, split it up onto smaller sheets. My previous comment on this post tells you how many sheets I used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock on! Thanks! Going to make one for my Mother-in-law, she loves tea.

      Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  6. Hello...I have just purchased Silhouette Cameo...haven't even received the shipping notice yet but wanted to get a head start and ordered some cutting designs. A few of them were yours and I found this blog for the tutorials but it won't let me copy and save them. Is this not possible? It really helps me to have written instructions when putting something together. I will appreciate any help that you can give me...as I said I have purchased a few of your designs and would love to easily put them together when my machine gets here. Thandk you.

    Kathy
    eggdcr8tr@satx.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I sent you an email tonight. Let me know if you don't receive it. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. HI there- I wanted to know if I need to resize it at all or if the size it comes out automatically when you open it is the size you use when you made yours. Thank you so much! I can not wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there-
    Did you resize the image at all or is the size it opens to automatically the size you used for your example?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! Your studio file will come in at the correct size. No need to change it. I created it to fit TAZO brand tea bags. So if your bags differ from those, you may need to adjust it. I've also had others comment that it also fits sugar packs. I'd love to see your finished project!

      Delete
    2. For some reason I did not subscribe to the reply and did not see it until today (!) So Sorry! I am planning to make it today! I am going to make a test runI and see what it fits. Sugar packets! What a great idea! Thanks for this!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kenzie:)

    I do really feel stupid.... I just can´t get it to work for my to ungroup the image...hmmmm
    Don´t know what I´m doing wrong...
    Really hope you can help..I´d just love to have that craft for my teabags:)

    Lol Silla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't feel stupid! I've been having this issue myself. For some reason, when opening any file in Studio, I personally have had to "ungroup" the design 4 or 5 times! I think this must be a bug in the software, because before I upgraded, I would only have to "ungroup" twice. So try clicking on the ungroup option 4 or 5 times and see if that solves the issue. If this doesn't fix the problem, I would suggest contacting Silhouette's customer service. They have been quick and responsive to those I've seen with issues. I hate to pass you on, but all I can do is make suggestions. They know the ins and outs of the software. Good luck and I hope it works!

      Delete
  10. Hi again Kenzie:)
    You are an four kids engel mom:)
    It worked...I just had to do it many times and then it worked:)
    I´m so happy,thank you.

    Give your small trouble .makers a huge hug.

    Lol Silla

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made one 6 months ago, and I still use it every single day. It is perhaps my most favorite of all my cutting files. Or the candy dispenser boxes, or..... Well, I love them all! All your files are just perfection. But this one I pinned a picture of in my new Pinterest board! It really is my fav! Thanks so much; I look forward to much more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make it again, but this time on my new Cricut Maker. Is there an svg available somewhere? 'Cause, you know, this still IS my favorite cutting file, even after all these years! It is the first think I went looking for when I ordered my Cricut.

      Delete
    2. Barbara, you can purchase the file through the Silhouette store at this link: https://www.silhouettedesignstore.com/designs/?search=26689&sortby=relevance&submitted_search=true Make sure that you click the box by SVG when purchasing to receive the SVG file in addition to the Silhouette studio format.

      Delete
  12. Can I get some help please, I need to print these instructions off as my pc is in the other room from where I am crafting, for some reason I cant copy these to print them please help before i scream anymore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email and I will send back a print version of the instructions. Email is: kenzie(at)snapdragonsnippets(dot)com

      Delete
  13. Hi, your box was the first projekt I've got made with my brandnew Cameo - and it was so satisfied to see how good it works!! Thanks so much for this box and the tutorial.
    Hugs Heike, XX

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought this and just love it. I have used this for my tea favors on two occasions already. Thanks for all that work.

    Hugz, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just finish one...
    ... going to the second and after the third...

    Loveeeee it! And the "how to assemble" helped me a lot!
    Tks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was wondering if there is a way I can copy this and save it? Thanks!! Can't wait to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you wish for to get a good deal from this paragraph
    then you have to apply these methods to your won weblog.

    Also visit my site :: Louis Vuitton Purses

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Gorgeous project and I'd love to add some personalised teabags inside. Do you happen to know if there's a cutting file for them to download/purchase?
    thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I just purchased the tea box and a small candy box (26991) for which I do not see instructions. I have to learn how to ungroup for printing but I don't see a recomended weight of card to use. I will need to order the correct weight. As I will order card for this, do you recomend the A4 or 12 x 12. I see I can use either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really grateful to have the information from this blog. I liked the blog as it has been written,the information i got from here.

    dispensing needles

    ReplyDelete
  21. is there a tutorial for the candy dispenser 26991. I can not find it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Help! I need to make a copy of these instructions, but your site does not allow for this! Is there any way you could send to my e-mail address? brendoll44@msn.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I only have them on the blog. I don't have any to send, you can print it off the blog.

      Delete
  23. Love this tea bag dispenser......I am using the pattern for a few gifts for some of my tea drinking friends......making in Christmas color......I am not adding much to the decoration since the contrasting papers make look so nice. by the way I did add a piece of chipboard to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails